Considering private healthcare treatment? The Consultant Forum
website ensures you have independent access to all of the information and options available to you, and helps you make the right decisions for your needs.
Your journey, your choice
WHY GO PRIVATE?
The most common reasons people choose to receive private medical treatment are:
- Minimal waiting times;
- Choice of when and where to receive treatment;
- Choice of who is providing treatment; and
- Continuity of care from the chosen professional.
However, knowing where to find independent information on how to make private healthcare choices can be challenging.
If you are considering private treatment you need to ensure you have access to all of the options that are available to help you make the right decisions for your care.
Visiting The Consultant Forum’s website allows you to search our extensive directory of consultants and healthcare professionals that offer private services in your area, understand their specialties, and choose who to see and where.
CONDUCTING YOUR SEARCH
Typically, you will start your journey knowing one or more of the following:
- The type of specialist you want to see (eg Cardiologist, Dermatologist etc);
- The problem you want to treat; and
- The location of where you would like to receive treatment (this can be as broad as a county name or as precise as a hospital name).
In some cases you may even know the name of the person you want to receive treatment from (either through reputation or personal
When you visit the website you will be asked to enter one or more of these fields, which then enable us to conduct your search.
CHOOSING THE RIGHT PERSON
Your search will return a list of people who meet some or all of the criteria you defined. You can then view a detailed ‘profile’ of each, giving you access to the following information:
- Biography: An individual’s background including details such as training, qualifications and interests.
- Sub-specialties: The specific problems the individual treats, or the procedures they perform.
- Contact details: Telephone numbers for direct contact with the specialist. Some may also provide email addresses and details of their website.
- Clinics: Where and when the specialist can see patients.
In some cases you will be able to read testimonials from previous patients, and view an explanation of any medical terminology that has been used to describe a procedure that you might be unfamiliar with.
All of the health specialists listed on our website are happy to be contacted directly using any of the details they have provided. This ensures you are able to ask any further questions you may have, and ultimately make your choice, and book an appointment at a time and venue to suit you.
FUNDING AND REFERRALS
You can fund your private healthcare either through choosing to pay for yourself, or through your private medical insurance (if you have it).
If using medical insurance you will need to ensure the professional you have chosen works with your insurance provider and request authorisation from them to proceed. If you do not have insurance you can choose to pay for yourself (known as ‘self funding’). This enables you to then book directly with your chosen health professional and select the venue, date and time that would be most appropriate for you. It is always advisable that you check any fees associated with your consultation or treatment prior to proceeding.
In both instances the healthcare professional you have chosen may require a referral from your GP. It is best to check with them whether this is required prior to making your appointment, and then ensure this is in place.